What do I need to do now?
Now is a good time to get organised and make a plan. Key things to think about are:
- Register with us – call 0800 31 68 600 – our service is fully open and ready to help.
- Get support from your local Carers Agent
- Register for Talk & Support – really useful to have a friendly person to chat with – especially if you are self-isolating, feeling lonely and need company.
- Have an emergency plan in case you as a Carer becomes unwell – click here to download the handy print off
- Let your GP know you are a carer. If your doctor and surgery know you are a carer they can:
- support you with any physical health issues related to your caring role, like tiredness
- make you aware of the carer’s flu jab each year
- talk to you about your mental health and the impact of your caring role
- provide you with general information and advice
- refer you to helpful organisations and services that can improve your caring situation
- give you flexible appointments at times that suit you
- Apply for a Carer’s Break – If you are eligible they may be able to help you pay for a break and help arrange short-term breaks for you or the person you care for, especially if your caring role is impacting your health.
- Plan your shopping for supplies – many supermarkets have special hours for volunteers and key workers:
- Sort out your Carers’ Assessment – you can also ask for a carer’s assessment by phoning 0300 123 2224.
- Look after yourself
- Beware of Scams – Avon and Somerset Police have noticed a spike in scams during this time click here to find out more
- Click here for the latest info on COVID vaccination fraud
Somerset Community Connect website has a full list of all the organisations that can support you as a Carer in Somerset as well as other useful advice around how to cope during the Coronavirus lockdown.
- General Advice and support
- Practical Support for Carers
Dementia UK Guidance
Carers UK Guidance:
Mind UK: Caring for someone with a mental health problem